Registration Steps for New Referees
Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) is the certifying organization for referees that are members of HSSOA. Individuals wanting to officiate high school soccer through HSSOA assignors must register and certify through TASO first. Once your are TASO certified, you will be given a member account for the HSSOA website and receive game assignments from HSSOA assignors.
- Become a member of TASO. If you are not a TASO member yet, you must go to the TASO website and click the New Applicants link
on the home page. You will be directed to a registration area for new referees. Note: There is a registration fee to become a TASO member.
This fee includes insurance, background check, rules book and badge.
Go to TASO.ORG
- Watch the Rules Video. From your TASO member portal, watch the Rules Video in its entirety. In your TASO member portal, you will see the rules video in your list of requirements needed to complete the certification process.
- Complete the Rules Test. After you view the entire online rules presentation video, click the test link in your member portal
to take the online test. You may retake the test multiple times until you receive an acceptable score.
Note: if you are a first time referee, you may want to have a copy of the current year Rules Book that will assist you in scoring well on the online exam. Contact the HSSOA Registrar for a copy of the book at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fund your HSSOA Assigning Fee Account. Log in to your HSSOA account and fund your account to offset assigning fees. You will receive an email with your login credentials once the HSSOA Registrar sees that you have registered with TASO. You HSSOA account will be created for you without you having to request it.
- Create your Game Officials Assigning Account. HSSOA assigns games through an online assigning software product called Game Officials. If you do not already have an account, you must go to www.gameofficials.net and create an account. If you already have an account, you must request to join the HSSOA group by logging in to Game Officials, select Change Identity, at the bottom of that page select "Click to Create a Group Link Request". You will request to join the HSSOA Group with a group number of 1363.